Learning Ukulele 50 Sites Top 50 Ukulele Sites Argapa Ukuleles - one size louder

Friday, September 22, 2017

Argapa: next generation

So. Remember that me and Johan did some heavy resawing with the frame saw a while back? Well all parts except for the tops are sanded to thickness and yesterday I managed to pry Johan from his phone for an hour. And we bent the sides for his mini guitar. 



It went really well, he got the idea and felt when the wood gave and when it didn’t. I thought I was gonna bend the sides for the cavaquinho I’m building for my friend and drummer, but I’ll do that on Sunday I think. 



Here are the sides, or more correctly; here’s the one piece rim Johan bent. 

Monday, September 11, 2017

Amplifiers

I have some wood that needs planing, and the workshop is cluttered and needs a big clearing up. In fact, I will have to clean the bench before I plane that wood. So of course I veer off at a tangent instead of doing that. 


These two aluminium boxes will be miniature guitar amps! And I will play my bass through one of them and it will sound like a chainsaw cutting into a beehive. I put masking tape on the fronts to mark the holes. 


I use a step drill / Devo hat to make the holes. The amp modules are from ebay, the speaker cones are from the trash. Apparently my neighbours never tire off chucking speakers out. 


Done. They are better than my previous attempts. 

Now. That wood to plane. If only Incould see the top of the workbench...

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Last steps on 103

Yesterday it was finally time to cross the finish line. Gathered round the uke are tuners, fishing line, bone saddle blanks and glass beads. 


I bought guitar saddle blanks that I cut down for nuts and saddles. In the pic you see the half pencil I use to dial in the height of the nut, the line shows the level of the frets. 


Then I use a ruler to lay out the outside string positions, marking them on the bridge. 


I divide the distance and use an awl to mark before drilling holes for the strings. 


My tiny drill is often known as a pin vise. But I think of it as a drill. 


I countersink the holes with a round engraving bit...


... and feed the strings through, put a bead on and tie the knot. 


That's as far as I got, photo-wise. The uke turned out great and it has a very nice voice. I'll see if I can get more pics up, or a recording.